Thursday, August 23, 2018

Welcome to School 2018!!


We do year-round school for a variety of reasons, but we still do a lot of "back to school" fun things!  We do pictures, "end of summer" events and fun, as well as "kick off" to school 8 weeks in.  We did our last waterpark day, we did friends coming over, we shopped for new sports equipment, bought new music instruments, new clothes, and all the fun things that symbolize the beginning of school!!  We are starting a co op this year, and sports again, which keeps us on a "school" schedule and feel, even though our curriculum goes year round.

Although we aren't on a traditional schedule, there's something to be said for fall, friends, and getting back into the swing of things.  Our first 6-8 weeks of school are usually more relaxed (also in the summer time), and it's a lot of review and easier stuff.  Once the harder parts start kicking in, we've also figured out our goals, plans, and what isn't going to work for the year.

Just a few of our goals and ideas for this upcoming year are:

1) Less is more. 

I keep (yes, EVERY year) adding in way too many papers and activities, and realize that less really is more and kids need a LOT of time for playing and exploring!!

2) Plan my mornings quiet, but afternoons fun!

This year we've added in karate, music lessons, soccer, and our afternoons/evenings are PACKED solid every day!  But this also lets us have quieter mornings for school, chores, and family time which we take at a much slower rate.

3) Enjoy the small stuff and don't sweat it.

I try to enjoy the times like today when we painted together for an hour, and not stress about the laundry I hadn't folded yet.  I also have to remind myself on how young they really are so it's not a race on how big a book they read yet, or how pretty their cursive is.  It will all kick in eventually.

4) Family time first and character building

The MOST important part of homeschooling is focusing on our family and our family's character over curriculum.  The first few weeks of school I tend to power on with HOW much we will learn and accomplish, but the truth is, I care much more on what kind of person my kid is learning to be.  Character building and family time are some of the main reasons we homeschool and that needs to stay my focus over how fast we can multiply numbers.

I am SO thankful we are back to homeschooling, and cannot wait to see what this year holds for us!
What are some of your back to school goals and fun??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...