Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Kicking off Summer!

Hello all!
We survived!

We went through the ups and downs and sideways emotions of lockdown, shelter in place, and having limited friend and exposure. 

Overall, we deeply needed the slow down.  We got to enjoy "being a kid" moments SO much more, and bonded as a family.  Although that was incredible, I am SO thankful that we can slowly start seeing people again and getting back to a slightly more normal life.




To kick off summer, and celebrate the lifting of lock down, I was able to go to North Dakota and spend a few days bonding with some childhood friends.  It had been years since I had been back to my hometown, and the visit, although short, was so refreshing.



The boys got to go to Mississippi and enjoy time away from our house finally!  They spend a week boating, fishing, playing, and getting some great time with their Pawpaw and Granny.  I'm so thankful we had the chance to reset, visit, and get some great away from the house.

This summer we won't get the same adventures we normally do, but we are relearning a new pace of life. I'm learning to slow down and not over commit too much.  The kids are learning to be okay with less crazy and learning a slower pace as well.  We have the tendency to be SO big on adventures and fun, that we lose the ability to just enjoy a slower pace of life.

My whole life has been "go, go, go" and although I love that, I've also gotten to the point through my trauma and grief that I just can't.  It's healthy to slow down.  It's desperately needed to be content with less.  

I'm trying to teach my kids that it's okay to have days we sit at home and play and relax and just enjoy the family.  But it's also great that we do have a couple friends and we can do adventures a few times a year.

Learning a healthy balance is not always easy, but through the chaos of the world around us, it's important to teach our children peace and grace and kindness.  


I'm incredibly thankful that even though I don't have a lot of "in person" local friends left, I DO have an incredible support of women that do Bible studies, encouragement, and pray for each other.  We don't need the most busy life, we need the most grace filled life. 

Learning to slow down is my biggest struggle, but as we learn the balance of not spiraling into depression, and not getting so busy we avoid emotions, we are developing a happy medium.  

Remember to love and encourage those around you who may need it.  Remember to take care of yourself.  Above all, remember to love and raise our kids to do the same!

Have an amazing kick off to a summer.  It may not be a "normal" summer for many of us, but make it the best you can!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...