Friday, July 10, 2020

Why did I ever want to be a teacher?

SO when people ask, "What do you want to be when you grow up?", little child me wanted to be:
 1. A Ballerina 
2. A nurse and



3. A Teacher!

How did my teaching journey ever begin?





It's so weird when people ask me when did I become a teacher, because I feel like I've kinda always been one.  I remember in second grade my teacher having me help and teach other classmates who were struggling.  I remember teaching my younger brothers things ALL the time.  But, officially, when I was 14, I started helping the neighbor's daughter with piano.  Did I know how to teach?  Nope.  But I did know I loved helping others learn and seeing how they would light up every time they "got it" finally!

As a teenager I ended up growing a music studio of almost 20 students!  I loved what I did!  I didn't know official learning theories, and I definitely didn't know music theory and proper things like I do now, but I did know I loved my students and would do anything to watch them learn.

I took a break in my early 20's to work on my nursing degree, and also worked as an Army Medic.  Over two years (not including my teen years working as a CNA) I focused on helping others and work towards a nursing degree.  Before I could finish my degree, other health issues arose in our family, and I had to step down from that.  That did, however, open up the doors to become a Music Major!  I was very fortunate to work with some great musicians and teachers and I become much more proficient in music than I already was!  Over those two years of getting my associate degree, every teacher said the same thing.  They said I made a great teacher, even though I wasn't the best performer.  Instead of continuing on with Music Performance, I wanted to do Music Education.  Sadly I didn't have the resources or time to finish at a local college due to the needs of my husband and four children, I wasn't able to be on campus. 


Over these years, I had started homeschooling.  At first it was just to keep my toddler and I busy for an hour a day with "learning time", but as we continued to have children and as I continued to teach them, I learned SO much with hands on experience.  I continued to teach music both at home and at a local studio, and I also continued to homeschool our kids and, at times, other families too.  I spent a year in a private school where I learned that so much of the experience I had with homeschooling made me a very good "real life" teacher  in a classroom setting!  My love for teaching just continued!  I worked in Sunday Schools, music studios, and with other kids as much as I could.  Each experience and student taught me new learning styles, new teaching styles, new accommodations, and I spent several years getting some fantastic experiences.  

I felt SO fortunate to find an amazing online college!  I was excited, but I could only do Elementary Education.  I figured, if anything else, it'd make me a better "home-school teacher" for my own kids!  Over the next two years I finished a four year degree (oftentimes doing double semesters in one), and discovered that a majority of my homeschooling years transferred into what I was learning in school.  As I continued to progress, I discovered that my love for learning and teaching others just continued to grow even more!

People ask me ALL THE TIME.... "why get a degree if you just home-school?"  "why do all this work for just your kids?"  

Why?  Why?  Why?


Why, I tell you, is because I truly LOVE teaching.  I love the relationships I have with my students, and I love knowing that a small part of their future and their lives was impacted in some way with my love of learning.  


I remember at ten years old watching Mr. Hollands Opus the movie, and I remember realizing that I wanted a legacy like his.  No one may ever remember my name, and I may oftentimes be looked down on, but at the end of his life he had affected HUNDREDS of students!

If I do nothing else with my life, I pray that I show kids the love of learning something new. Whether it be music, math, science, or adventures, I want them to see that there is something in life they can succeed at!  My goal is always to find that in each child, and nourish it so they can feel confident and loved as they continue in their lives.


This last year, several students that I had ten years ago, came back and told me thank you.  Thank you for loving them, and showing them music, and showing them the beginning of a journey.  Some continued music and are now in college, some did other things, but none of them ever forgot their teacher. 



I look back and think of the incredible teachers I had over my life.  Although most of them may never know it, they had profound influences on me and my life now.  They developed that love of learning and that desire to teach others!  Thank you to all my teachers I have ever had.  Thank you to all the parents that allow me to work with your kids.  At the end of the day, when the days get hard, I'm thankful that God has led me down a path that I love and can be successful with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...