Thursday, May 11, 2017

Doing stuff when you need to be low key.

Lately our family has been struggling with health.  My husband was very sick for several weeks, my children all got sick, and my energy became majorly depleted.  Normally I'm going 110% and hate to slow down, but the last few weeks we have been taking it nice and slow.

This is very hard for me when life forces me to go slow!  I like to always be out doing things, making fun memories, seeing new friends, etc.  The past few weeks I'm learning to be okay with slowing down for now and finding the good in each day.  

Today, for instance, I felt like I did almost nothing all day, and it was making me feel depressed.  So I did a break down of how much we really did.

Studiously working his hand writing
8:00:  The kids let me sleep til 8!!  This NEVER (or very rarely) happens.  This let us all have a quiet easy morning, and eat a warm comfy breakfast.

9:00:  We finally all got dressed, did a load of dishes and laundry, and then the kids played outside while I did some quiet Bible time, and "me" time of reading.  We also worked on cursive handwriting and each boy did their ten minute of "summer work."  This was our compromise of not starting our homeschool til August (for mommy's sake) but keeping them with some school work each day.

10:00:  Figured out what to do for lunch, and the kids worked on their 200 piece puzzle, and I got to work on my piano music a bit.  We also learned a new game called Rangerland!  This is a similar game as candyland, except you explore national parks around America.

11:00  Started our easy lunch of chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries, and the kids picked up their morning mess.
12-2: QUIET time!  The boys all did quiet reading, napping, and left me alone to rest.  This is where my guilt start to creep in.  I just realized I haven't done much at all with my kids today, because I've been low energy all day.  So I look back and realize, my boys love to read and play independently, and they know mommy is there every time they need to show me a new castle they built or page they colored.
200 piece puzzle to get done today

The rest of the afternoon was spent making banana bread, doing a delicious crockpot chili, and playing in the rain with our mud boots!  Even the days it's low key and quiet, it doesn't mean nothing was done, it just means that for now mommy needs to slow things down and enjoy the break.

For health, sanity, and refreshing, we all need these "down" weeks.  It's hard to remember there are seasons to everything.  This season is my older boys being less dependent on me, and sleepless nights due to teething babies.  It all has balance and I just have to remember to not beat myself up about not being the "perfect" mom.  All my kids will remember is the quality time and the good memories of today, not the mom guilt I was feeling. 

What do YOU do on your quiet do-nothing days??



Elijah making his Banana Bread ALL by himself!

FRESH homemade Einkorn banana bread
Snuggles with my sweet baby girl

Elijah explaining the rules to Zeke!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...