Saturday, January 26, 2019

Peace with less

So this year I've been working on minimizing.  This doesn't just mean "less stuff" but I've also been reducing our commitments, extracurriculars, etc. 

I've already noticed a difference in stress! 

1) Meals and Diet

Now when we go to the store we have gone down to a basic diet (Whole 30 inspired), which means it's so much faster.  Focusing on meat, veggies, and fruit, means no more wandering every single aisle buying impulse on things I never use and then regretting it.  This has reduced our trips, simplified our meals, and overall reduced stress with that area!!

2) School

Yes, according to social media we look busy, but you don't see behind the scenes. 

Our mornings are slower, where we focus on chores and homeschooling.  I also reduced the schooling pace so we end up with less stress, and actually get MORE done, because I'm not rushing and stressing over every little thing.  Weirdly to me, slowing down our school actually made it more fulfilling and less stressful.  The kids are learning more, and we have less meltdowns. 

My new mantra "don't sweat the small stuff'"!  Now I don't have to hammer in something until they get it.  I just go slow and steady and when it clicks, I let it click.  It's amazing the happy learning I now get from my kids!

3) Extra curriculars

I am that mom that wants to do EVERYTHING!  Soccer, basketball, karate, co ops, music lessons, etc.  We sat down with the boys and they decided that Karate (Tae Kwon Do) is what they want to be focused on.  Now I don't even have to stress that "when is sign ups, and what do we have to schedule next!".  It's so nice to have our evenings focused on Karate, and nothing else!

I also took back over their piano lessons so it's one less running around.  I get that bonding time with my children, and I've saved us money and time we would have spent running around town.

4) Subscriptions

Yes, I'm THAT mom!  The one who wants to have monthly boxes for EVERYTHING!!  How I'm handling this is I picked ONE that we liked the most and just work on that.  I do a six month subscription, and when that expires I reevaluate to see if we loved it or not.  As our things expired and not renewed, I realized how much we weren't using several of them.  The kids didn't even notice that we don't get some of their boxes every month anymore. 

They are just as content to play legos and do other activities together.  Yes, I love the education and enrichment of it all, but in all honesty, it was more clutter and stress.  I may go back to some or just do one for six months, then another one.  As our boys grow and change, so does their interests.  I'm learning to be content with what we have and not have to have "everything" I see.  This also helps me set that example to my boys.  They are learning to be content with their toys and things they have and not always focused on what "new" things they need. 

Less is More so much of the time!

5) Commitments

Yes, I'm also THAT girl!  The girl who wants to be in every activity, every party, every free community event, etc.  I would push so hard to do "every" experience that it ended up a big jumble of stress that no one appreciated. 

My commitments are now to teaching music (and that is going AMAZING!!), and to my kids education.  I also focus our big experiences for our vacations.  Doing a weekly park day for free instead of doing every event also helps.  It's free, it's consistent, and it's slower paced.  I'm not squeezing it between ten other things, and that has changed our levels of stress a lot.

Re evaluating WHAT and WHO are my priorities makes a difference!! 

6) Results

I have more time for ME:  Bible study, college, teaching.  I have more time for what is important to MY mental health and sanity.

My kids are less stressed with the hustle and bustle of life.

My home is where we spend a lot more time and quality time together.


I know this is not a solution for every family, and I don't think it's wrong to be busy.  I just know for me it becomes an addiction of busy-ness which leads to stress, and long term negative for our family.

I do want to do a lot, but I'm happy with the overall slowed down of our family this year.  Now I just need to make sure as time goes on we don't overwhelm ourselves. 

Another season of life we may become busy again, but for now I'm learning to embrace the quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...