Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Christmas break-part 2 (late post)



So after our fun week at the Grand Canyon, the adventures didn't stop!!

We got to go to Carlsbad Caverns, Meteor Crater, Roswell, and finally ended up safely home.

My dream is to one day to the FULL Route 66 road trip, but until then, I embrace the pieces I get to go on back and forth to places.

Carlsbad Caverns was MUCH bigger than I remember going on 8 years ago.  We  took 2 hours hiking down into the caverns.  This was a long process, but definitely worth it!  We got to see incredible formations, and it really gave us an idea of just how deep down we were going into the Caverns.  Once we got to the bottom we spent another hour hiking around the trails, and seeing even more.  After being outdoors for three days at the Canyon, this was a complete opposite, but well worth it.

On the way to the Caverns, we did get to see Meteor Crater!  This is the largest known meteor crater site in the US (maybe the world?  Can't remember).  We couldn't get a good picture that truly shows just how big it is.  2 miles across, and we loved seeing the telescopes to see the items down in the middle.  Learning the history and how they excavated and learned about that site was definitely fun. 

Roswell, NM is of course my favorite "stop and eat" on the way home place.  This is the home of alien sighting!  I love seeing a town full of green aliens everywhere for tourist, eating in the outer space McDonald, and overall just enjoying the myths and fun of their history. 

The memories made from car trips are always my favorite.  Yes, fussy kids, and long days.  But, we also get quality family time, a break from our normal routine, and adventures that some people only dream about.  I can't wait to further our adventures, get even more Jr. Ranger Badges, and eventually, go see the world!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...