Monday, November 21, 2016

Grocery Shopping with Kids!

So, we have those magical weeks where I can shop alone, or have my husband or mom get groceries for me, and then we have reality where kids come to the store with us!

To make things more interesting and to have them learn more, we have turned this into an educational experience!!  We started using Raddish Kids (www.raddishkids.com) for cooking class, which has been great for teaching them about shopping, planning, recipes, preparation, and food safety!  This is good for teaching them how to be responsible for their own list while I work on my big list.  They also learn how to compare prices, brands, and get coupons to help us save money.
This is at times challenging and definitely takes more time, but it is a good opportunity for them to learn that our food is not free (as some kids think it is) and that we have to plan and prepare to have good healthy meals.  It has also been useful for working on our listening skills, and following directions so they don't get lost in the store.  It can be easy for the kids (and me at times) to just want to buy junk food we don't need, so this helps us all stay healthier and keep accountable to what we NEED, not just what we want that week.  


This month our cooking class is Thanksgiving side dishes!  It's been exciting as we plan and talk about how to cook for a big event dinner for the holidays.  

Last bonus of this trip was that I found a rhubarb pie!!  This is the little piece of Northern tradition that I hold onto in this deeply Southern household.  It is nearly impossible for me to find and each year I find one of the few strawberry-rhubarb pies left.  I may have been a little too excited when I finally found it because quite a few people in the crowded store gave us funny looks, but hey, I found it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...