Thursday, March 2, 2017

How to get past those grumpy days!

This last week it's been one of those "off" weeks where nothing quite feels right.  We clean, yet everything still feels messy.  We play, and all the kids are arguing.  We make food, and no one wants to eat today.  We go out and everything just feel cranky, grumpy and off!

Now, as a mommy with anxiety/depression struggles, this does not help my lows.  I try to perk up and get motivated, but all I want to do is sit and cry, and do nothing!!  In the past, I would be crawled up on the couch with a season of Netflix to binge, and send the kids off to grandma.  Nothing is technically wrong, just an "off" week.

Since I can't curl up on the couch, and in the back of my head, I know I shouldn't (because it'll just spiral me worse), I needed to figure out a way past this.

1) Take care of myself!

Wait... so you mean the bad day might be because I forgot to take my supplements my body desperately needed?

I start setting timers so I don't forget to take my supplements.  I also struggle to eat when my anxiety amps up.  Some people binge eat, and struggle with gaining weight, but I struggle to eat at all, and then I lose weight and it all becomes very bad for me.  I also make myself get up and move!!  Do I WANT to go walk around the neighborhood?? Nope.  Am I ok with only 3,000 steps for the days??  Yep.  But I know deep down, movement will help!.

When mommy mentally and physically falls apart, she can't take care of the kids.  I don't want my kids to remember only my bad days.

As much as I hate it, I make myself get up and move, make myself clean up, and make myself eat!  Gotta take care of myself.  You may not realize how incredibly hard it can be... but trust me, it's hard some days to even do that.

2) Have a FUN day!

I'm the parent that only does "30 minutes a day of screen" and we must be "educational" and get all the "school" done!.  You know what?? Don't force the routine when you spiral and everyone is cranky.  ALSO, don't just kick the kids outside while mommy spirals down and ignore them.

Spend quality time together!  For us, it was me sitting through Toy Story and snuggling the kids.  Not me sitting on Netflix alone and sad while my kids stayed far away.  For me, it's taking them to the park, and putting my phone down and really playing with them.  For me, it's going and taking Samuel out on a special "date" with mommy to Walmart and getting him a $3 toy.

Some days, just throw out the schedule and make it a quality family day!

It doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be crazy.  Let your kids know you still love them.  Even when you don't want to be near people, it helps having love and support!

3) Talk to someone!

Now, this doesn't mean rant and rave and spiral even worse... trust me, I've been there too.

I am a talker.  I love to talk, and go through my millions of options, and fuss.  You know what fussing helps with?? Nothing.  Ever.

I have learned to genuinely talk to my husband and say out loud: "Honey, I feel incredibly depressed, and I'm struggling."  "Honey, I"m losing my appetite, and I feel myself spiraling."  This lets my husband know that I NEED a little extra support and love.  I also tell my kids the truth so they understand.  "Kids, mommy is feeling sad today and it's hard, but I still love you and want to spend time with you."  This teaches my kids that's it's okay to have a sad day, but it's not okay to wallow.

Use the support you have whether it be family, friends, or whatever!!  Don't just rant and make yourself worse, but truly be open and honest to those who care.

4) Fix your thinking!

Now this is my hardest and longest step.  When I"m depressed and spiraling quickly, I get into self pity mode, and cry mode, and the LAST thing on my mind is to fix my thinking!!

Whether it be Bible study, self improvement book, or comedy show to make me laugh... do SOMETHING to fix your depression.  This is NOT the day or time to wallow.


It's hard living with depression, and most people may never understand.  You know what else is hard??  Letting it control your life and ruining your relationships.

I'm SO thankful for a supportive husband, and family and friends to love me and help me through the worst of it.

How do YOU get past those "grumpy days"???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard things are a blessing

​I have been through a lot of hard things.  There are days I feel overwhelmed and want to cry and feel discouraged at why have I had to go t...